Ombuddy Volunteer Fact Sheet
Becoming a long-term care field ombudsman who advocates for adults in care is a big commitment, but for those who have the interest, time, and commitment to this important work, serving as an ombudsman can be very rewarding and meaningful. In addition to our volunteer ombudsman opportunities, Ombudsman Services of San Mateo County (OSSMC) has other volunteer opportunities for individuals and organizations through our Ombuddy Program. Below are activities Ombuddy volunteers may participate in:
- Flower delivery to senior care facilities. In partnership with Random Acts of Flowers, Ombuddy volunteers can spread warmth and color by deconstructing donated bouquets, arranging flowers, and/or delivering flowers to care facilities. Time commitment: Participation can be one-time or longer-term – it’s up to you!
- Party Planning. OSSMC is looking for fun people who enjoy organizing events. As part of an event planning committee, you can be involved in directing event arrangements, decorating, soliciting sponsors, finding items to auction, and more! Time commitment: Generally, participation in event planning extends over a six to twelve month period.
- Speaker’s Bureau. Most people don’t think much about long term care facilities until a loved one ends up in one. If you enjoy public speaking, you can help spread the word about senior care issues and Ombudsman Services by speaking at your organization, club, church… wherever! We’ll help you develop the presentation. All you need to do is deliver it. Time commitment: 1-2 hours, depending on the event.
- Tabling at Community Events. Throughout the year, Ombudsman has tables at community events. As a volunteer, you would assist in table set up and work at a table, speaking to people about care issues and OSSMC. Time commitment: A few hours to 1-2 days, depending on the event.
- Social Media Posting. We need help spreading awareness online about senior care issues and Ombudsman programs. As part of the Ombuddy social media “street team,” you will share our updates about senior care issues and OSSMC events. Time commitment: Light.
- Marketing. Assist with outreach and communication to local groups and communities to provide information on the services offered by the Ombudsman program. Ensure the community is aware of Ombusdman events to increase awareness of the program to all members of San Mateo County. Time commitment: Varies.
- Serving on the External Affairs Committee. The External Affairs Committee oversees OSSMC’s outreach efforts – from fundraising to events to public relations – providing strategic direction and chipping in with hands-on work when needed. If you enjoy marketing and fundraising, this may be the place for you! Time commitment: The committee meets once every two months.
To access our Ombuddy Volunteer Program Application, Click Here.