By Sherine Elamad, Volunteer Coordinator
Summer is fun and it’s a great time to exercise, relax, and have some fun in the sun…Here are some suggestions for fun activities to do outdoors:
- Visit your local park and go for a walk…even if it’s a short one! This will give you a chance to be outside and relax, hear the birds chirping, watch kids playing on the playground and of course, laying in the sun and getting some vitamin D! It’s also fun to walk in your neighborhood and socialize with your caregiver or simply enjoy the scenery and people around you.
- Listen to music…there’s so many ways to listen to music! Play your radio to your favorite channels, play your favorite CD’s or even have a sing-a-long of your favorite songs
- Join the senior center for exciting get-togethers, such as Bingo, knitting, swimming, etc and this will also give you a chance to meet people that have the same interests as you in your own community!
- You may want to mix it up and go for a swim at your local community center pool or join a dance class at the senior center (yoga also has many great benefits for your mental and physical overall health).
- Visit pets or have your family/friends bring along their pal when they visit you!
- Creating a family cookbook can be so much fun as you think up old family recipes and store them in one place to share with other family members
- Summer is also a great time to go for a hike, visit San Francisco or go shopping! There’s also a good variety of different cultural events in our own community that you can check out or visit the Museum or visit the library!
- Have a movie night with your family, caregiver and other loved ones and, enjoy it with a bowl of popcorn.
- Learn a new skill or hobby that you’ve previously haven’t had time to commit to, like learning about new gadgets and technology.
- Most importantly, have fun, catch up with family and friends, and enjoy the warm summer!
- Try to stay in air-conditioned buildings/ have fans in your home
- Wear sunscreen, your hat and sunglasses to protect yourself
- Always stay hydrated and drink plenty of water, even if you’re not thirsty
- Stay in the shade and take breaks while walking outdoors during the afternoon
- Try to wear cool, loose and lightweight clothing and sandals when outdoors!